So last week was the day of discovery for me! I haven’t been able to find flank steak in Shoprite & I was headed there once again but this time the butcher & I were going to have a sit down. I felt like I was the only one in Jersey to not have flank steak once a week. As I was on my way there (In total mission mode I might add) I stumbled across my sister in laws facebook post where she checked into a place called Arctic Foods & mentioned their meat beats Shoprite anyday. Turns out I was just a minute down the road from it & I was happier than a pig in you know what when I walked in! It’s organic, it’s quality meat, it’s hand over fist quality meat & I was in love!!
The man at the counter gave me a little card with this recipe
on it & I can tell you my family loves him for it!
You will need:
2 pounds flank steak (I got this & cut it in half to feed 3 people)
Freshly ground Pepper
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup red wine
1/3 cup soy sauce (I used Bragg’s Liquid Aminos)
1/4 cup organic honey
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Score the surface of the steak an inch apart, 1/4 inch deep & across the grain of the meat. Combine the marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag. Coat the steak well with the marinade & seal the bag to chill for no less than 2 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Pre-heat your grill to high & you will know that it’s ready when you can only hold you hand over the grill for a second.
3. Take the steak out of the bag & sprinkle with salt (I completely skipped the salt step) & the freshly ground pepper, as they will help create a savory crust on the steak. Throw that steak on the grill & 4-6 minutes on each side should do it. I haven’t mastered the grill marks yet but it says to turn the steak 90 degrees to achieve such a beautiful aspect!
4. My internet research & my restaurateur husband tell me that flank steak should be cooked med-rare for it to be it’s best, going to much further will make it tough. So yank that bad boy off the heat, slice through against the grain to give it a check & it should be a bit rare-ish when you d your initial cut. Place it on a plate & wrap the plate with foil so it can rest. You will find after 10 mins it will be the perfect temp! It will also keep your meat from drying out.
5. Slice this amazing steak in thin diagonal slices against the grain & serve!
NOW……I did this the second time & was SOOOOO glad I did. I took the extra marinade & brought it to a boil & served it over the cooked steak. AWESOME.
ALSO…..the first time I made this steak, I put a pound of chicken in the leftover marinade bag & threw it in the fridge…..whole family loved it. TOP NOTCH.